Everyone loves the wedding cake, even after a long lunch, a sweet corner always remains. And each guest awaits with curiosity the moment of the presentation of the dessert because the wedding cake is always a surprise. There are endless combinations that can be chosen: shape, taste, decoration … The cutting of the cake is the highlight of the reception: the newlyweds cut it together, but few know why. Symbolically, the loss of the bride’s virginity is celebrated on the wedding night …
What are the types of cake?
- The typical wedding cake is the tiered one (three or five). According to tradition, a cake had to be high to give privacy to the kiss between the spouses. The recipe calls for a stuffed sponge cake, covered with cream and colored sugar decorations.
- Classic and typical of Italian culture is the one-tier cake. Millefeuille, fruit or sponge cake and cream can be round or rectangular, decorated with the traditional figurines of the couple. It is an elegant and sober choice, which can be rejuvenated by choosing the personalized and witty cake topper of the newlyweds.
- Certainly more striking are the tiered cakes typical of the USA, real sculptures. The sponge cake is filled with a very firm filling (the frosting is generally prepared with spreadable cheese, sugar, and butter) and entirely covered with the sugar paste with which the cake design is made. Especially suitable for winter weddings or evening receptions because the glaze tends to melt, bringing with it all the mini decorative sculptures in sugar paste.
- The single-portion tiered or pyramid cake is made up of many mini cakes that are arranged on various backsplashes. Each cake is decorated according to the mise en place of the ceremony. It is a choice that is suitable for a small number of guests.
- The hottest cake this year is the naked cake. It is a tiered cake in which each cake is filled in layers but without a final coating of cream, icing, or sugar paste. Typical of country chic and boho chic weddings, it is decorated mainly with flowers or fruit.
How to choose the right cake.
- Start looking for your wedding cake early, at least 5 months before the wedding, when you still have time and there is still no frenzy in the preparations.
- Ask the venue where you will be organizing the reception if they have a list of reliable suppliers.
- Consider the availability of fruit and flowers, the temperature more or less suitable for the frosting of the season in which you will get married.
- Search online for photos of cakes and compare with friends who can tell you about their experience.
- Thanks to word of mouth you can contact and test pastry chefs that you could not have found on your own.
- Choose a style for the wedding and adapt the details, especially the cake. Classic, geometric, romantic, rustic: photos will accompany you throughout your life.
- Evaluate how long the cake will be displayed on the dessert table: the naked ones lose their fragrance more easily, while those covered with sugar paste are sensitive to heat.