Who does not have some kind of costume jewelery or accessories at home? Over time these tend to get darker. For that reason in our blog we want to show you how to clean jewelery with some very simple tricks.
How to clean jewelry, unlike silver, requires other steps when leaving it as new (you can find more information on how to clean silver ). As a general rule, jewelery is cheaper than silver, we tend to have more accessories made in this material than in silver. But at the same time, we also tend to get rid of them before leaving them or forgotten in the bottom of the jeweler to see how time makes it lose its original brightness. But with the tips on how to clean jewelry that we will give you below, you can recover all your accessories and reuse them.
tips on how to clean jewelery:
- First of all, we should not mix our accessories. We have to ensure that everyone is separated individually to try to extend the useful life of our accessory and keep them as new. In this way we will prevent the oxide from corrupting our costume jewelery. Therefore, silver should be kept with the other elements of silver, gold with gold, and of course the jewelry accessories separately so as not to jeopardize the composition of other jewelry and accessories possibly with more economic value.
- At the time of knowing how to clean jewelery, we must also be cautious and avoid that our jewelery accessories come in contact with external elements such as colonies, creams, chlorine, soap, salt water … any substance that contains abrasive elements that may directly affect the composition and therefore the appearance of any of our accessories.
- At the same time, we can also protect any jewelery accessory so that it lasts longer. For this we will take into account the color of the accessory.
How to clean gold jewelery:
- We can use a nail polish to protect it from the action of time. Store each piece in a separate bag having previously cleaned the piece of jewelry before storing it. To be more exact, whenever we use any accessory, before saving it we should clean it.
- To implement the steps on how to clean jewelery, the economic outlay will be minimal since we can use the dishwasher soap. With this soap we will get rid of the grease that usually appears in any jewelery accessory. You can use your own hands to apply the dishwasher soap.
- Next, rinse each jewelery accessory with warm water and then dry it with a microfiber cloth. Drying jewelry accessories is one of the most important steps when it comes to knowing how to clean jewelry because it is very important to eliminate any possibility of moisture that corrupts the piece.
How to clean silver jewelery:
- Unlike how to clean gold jewelry, nail polish which is usually one of the best options to use silver jewelry toothpaste.
- We can help with a toothbrush to apply the paste in the accessories of silver jewelery. Then rinse with plenty of warm water.
- Before storing the accessories (remember that each piece must be stored separately) we can sprinkle some talcum powder on the piece. In this way we will prevent the moisture from oxidizing the silvery color turning it into greenish tones.
How to clean leather jewelry:
- If you notice that your leather jewelry is somewhat dry and cracked, you can use a little baby oil or olive oil to recover the piece. With the oil you will get back the original shine to the piece when hydrating it.
- Remember that it is very important to carry out this procedure when you want to save your piece after having used it. In this way, when you want to use it again, you will find it in perfect condition and it will not dry out.
- As with silver and gold jewelery, it is also advisable to know how to clean costume jewelery, store it separately in plastic bags or wrapped in paper.
How to clean jewelery: eliminate rust
To conclude, we want to offer you a tip so you can recover your rust-damaged jewelry. For this you only need:
- A bowl with hot water.
- An empty bowl.
- Sodium bicarbonate.
- A toothbrush.
Once you have done with the previous list, fill the empty bowl of baking soda and add a little vinegar. Go stirring the mixture with a fork or spoon to form a paste. Go adding vinegar until the appearance of the paste is creamy (not liquid). When you mix the baking soda with vinegar bubbles will appear. Now is the time to place the accessory in your hand. Pour a spoonful of the mixture over the accessory. Wet the brush in the bowl of hot water and go rubbing vigorously on the accessory. Little by little you will eliminate all the dirt and the dark color that it has. If you notice that the dirt is hard to remove completely, you can add some soap to the mix to wash the dishes. In conclusion,